Monday, May 15, 2006

Rain, Rain, Go Away....

I'll start off with Saturday....

I could go on and on about how much it rained on Saturday while Laurin and I were at the NH Sheep and Wool, about how wet our feet were and how cold our asses got, but I will spare you the sad, sad details. I will, instead, tell you how much FUN we had...how awesome the vendors were...how freaked out (in a good way) I was over the tons and tons of gorgeous fiber there was to buy (went over my budget...like that was surprising!) and how the hot cup of cocoa that Laurin's hubby got for me made me feel all warm and cozy inside.

I could have bought WAY, WAY more fiber than I did. Really, it's true! Even though my fellow knitting and spinning friends gave me slightly nervous looks when they saw the amount of bags of stuff I was walking around with, in addition to my carry bag, umbrella, and cup of cocoa... (I thought Jackie looked a little impressed but also shocked at my amount of fiber...Denise gave me the "I can see you went overboard" look, but with compassion and understanding and, Laurin, well, Laurin gave me the "sadly-shaking-her-head-at-me-but-loving-me-anyway" look....I think her hubby, Mark, was very amused at my wild eyed, drugged out look while browsing through the fibers) All in all, the day was well worth the cold, wet and long drive.

Do you want to see PICS??? Unfortunately, they're not of the cute, but freezing alpacas, or my friends, or the stalls of fiber or even the rain.....the pictures are of stuff that I BOUGHT!!!!....(evil laugh....heh heh heh)

This one is the Bosworth PurpleHeart maxi spindle I bought (not associated with sanitary pads) and one of the balls of angora/cormo fiber I bought...which is a dream to spin and I LOVE this spindle...super easy to use, very balanced and beautiful.



Here is a very frightening pic of part of my closet....this is the "clustering of yarn and fiber" that happens after I go shopping....some is from the SuperBowl Sunday Ewe'll Love It shop sale...the other half is from the S&W....see the two huge bags of cream colored fiber? Oh, heaven of heavens....it's a blend of cormo and silk from Fox Fire Fibers...you MUST check out the website....she's also featured in an issue of Wild Fibers Magazine, as well.



A close up of the rainbow batt of fiber (made of alpaca, silk and merino...oh, gosh, I almost fainted when I saw this!)...I think it's a pound, but I'm not sure.



This is the handturned nostepinne I bought, along with 2 sets of silverish blue merino/tencel fiber and my (giggle) bag of Buffalo Gold 100% buffalo roving....you have to feel this stuff..it's like cashmere! Have NO idea how to spin it yet, but WHO CARES??? I can just stick the blob of it in my ample cleavage and off I go!



Okay, here's a close up of the buffalo in it's gauzy, gold pouch....feeeeeel it....



Oh, now here is the early bday gift I got from Lovely Laurin (she was kinda forced to give it to me since I saw some of it on her table after the S&W...oh, well!). A basket with pink (my fav color) lining filled with 3 (count 'em) skeins of Doucer et Soie (baby mohair and silk) laceweight yarn in pink, a skein of some I-could-just-eat-it Sockotta in sherbet colors for a pair of socks and a bar of soap wrapped in felted fibers smelling like lavender and rosemary.....heaven! Am I spoiled or WHAT?



So, on to Sunday....

I had to work at the nursing home to give a yoga class in the morning, then I went home to grab a quick breadstick before giving a Reiki treatment....after that, I was free to be a pampered mom on Mother's Day...but, alas, I had to go grocery shopping and we didn't end up going out to eat (because of the damn Weight Watcher points I must adhere to) and the kids were pretty crazy being shut up inside because of all the rain...but I did receive a gorgeous vase of flowers from Ian and some adorable homemade cards from the kids (and even the bunny...who left me some of her angora on a piece of paper).

I was able to finally finish spinning the black wool yarn with turquoise and magenta angelina sparkly fibers...made over 200 yards of dk weight 2 ply...it sparkles like you wouldn't believe! You can see it here, but the pic doesn't do it justice:



Lastly, I started spinning the fiber I was waiting for (which I bought from Yarn Botanika)...."Lipstick" is amazing....the fiber is super sproingy, elastic, I'm in love with the color and it's a dream to spiin...I could spin it all day and not get sick of it. This is what I've spun so far...can't wait to do more.....



Okay, now that you've wasted an hour of your life reading this blog, you can resume your normal, more interesting life. Just let me know what you think of my "stuff" and I'll know you care.....(LOL)

7 comments:

sheep#100 said...

Beautiful spindle...sigh...

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous stuff! It just so happens that I am wearing some socks I made out of the same yarn you received in your basket - well, not the "same" yarn, but the same kind :-). I love them and call them my Easter egg socks (made right before Easter).
Love that your bunny left you a present :)

GamecockDoc said...

Wow, you did good! Looks like you came home with a lot of good stuff. That bag of rainbow fiber looks like cotton candy though!
Love the sparkly yarn! It looks awesome. What do you have planned for it?
Random fiber/spinning question...if you have uncolored fiber that you're going to spin, do you dye it before or after spinning? Or does it matter?

YarnB said...

WOW WOW WOW. I am just drooling. CORMO WITH SILK???????? How luscious can you get!! I am in trouble when I go to Colorado, I can tell. I better bring an extra suitcase!! And Buffalo gold?? I saw that stuff recently. I can't wait to hear how it spins...

Heide said...

OMG, can I live vicariously (sp?) through you? What a great haul. So here's my question to you and your readers...
Do you hide new yarn purchases? If so do you sneak them into thehouse and pretend that you've always had them or do you bring them in a little bit at a time to lesson the blow to your significant other? Just curious.

Karen said...

Hi! Looks like you had lots of fiber-y fun at NHS&W. Ine of these years I shall have to plan to go. It really sounds terrific. I would come home with way too "deposits" to my "yarn treasury". I really like the handmade wooden "toys" you have. Can you really spin enough yarn to make something useful using just a spindle? I guess since I am not entirely clear on how a spindle works it just seems like it would take a really long time to make enough yarn. Have fun!

yarnophiliac said...

wow -- what great stuff! I am so sad I didn't go to the festival now! We were going to take the kids in the morning, but I really didn't want to put them through torture in the rain. I should have escaped on my own! DRAT!