Tuesday, January 01, 2008

New Year's Resolutions-Knitting Style!

Happy New Year, Knitting Friends!!!

Can't believe it's already January 1st of 2008! Where has the time gone?

I'm starting off my new year on the right path! The FO Path!

My first FO of 2008, highly recommended to me by the fabulous Melissa, whose birthday we celebrated on Sunday. Happy Birthday, Lisha!! (Also, a very Happy Birthday to Sarah and Amy, as well!!)

These are the Noro Fingerless Mitts from MimoKnits:



DETAILS:

Yarn: Noro Silk Garden, color 205 B
Needles: Knit Picks Options size 7 and 9 (magic loopin' it)
Dimensions: 8.5 inches long and 3.75 inches wide (there was no gauge or finished dimensions on the pattern, so I can't be sure if I was knitting to gauge. I tried knitting more tightly than usual (I'm VERY loose...lol), but it still seemed a bit large.
Time: Two Days
Rating: B+ (great fun!)

*Notes: The scale that Jackie got me certainly came in handy with this pattern. I wasn't entirely confident that this single skein would make the two mitts, but once I made one, I weighed it and...sure enough...I had a little more than half the skein left over for the other mitt. My hand seems to be much smaller than MimoKnits and I needed to take 5 rounds off the final top part, before the ribbing. Also, I wish I'd used only 7 rounds, instead of 11, after the cuff...my mitts are a bit on the long side. And, for the thumb, I knit 3 rounds less of the ribbing...to shorten the top. (I think I have freakishly short thumbs). Besides these adjustments, I LOVED the pattern and it was fun and easy. I especially liked the way the increases for the thumb is made....super attractive and MUCH simpler!

A close up on the yarn and pattern of the thumb:



Now, on to my New Year's Resolutions. This year, instead of making a HUGE list of things I won't do (while knowing full well that I will probably end up doing them anyway), I'm making a list of 10 things that I'm definitely doing....with knitting and spinning, that is!

NEW YEAR'S KNITSOLUTIONS:

1-3. I am going to finish at least 3 wip's....preferably....my Lizard Ridge Afghan, my Tim's sweater, and my RockStar Scarf...all of which have been on the back burner for some time.

4. I am going to blog more....2 posts a week at least, instead of 1, which I've ended up doing this past month with all the craziness.

5-6. I will knit at least 2 (yes, count'em, 2!!) lace shawls this year. One, a functional, warm and cozy one...the Spinner's Shawl. And the other, something really beautiful. I have 3 "beautiful" shawls in mind....the HoneyBee Stole, the Icarus, and the Wings of the Moth shawl.

7. Since my Ravelry account is coming along really well (over 100 fully finished projects with pics now!), I want to learn to take some better pictures with my digital camera.

8. It's going to be a very selfish year. I'm calling this the "Year of Knitting Selfishly 2008" and start knitting projects only for myself....and not have to feel that ever growing panic, arm pain, neck tightness and very slight "obligation-feeling" that comes with Christmas knitting...no matter how loved the recipient or how wonderful the project. (The exception to this is knitting for babies, in which I feel little or none of this for some reason.)

9. Yarn and Fiber will be bought in very minimum amounts and some will be donated to high school knitting clubs (Hannah, I'll have a bag for you shortly!) or traded for something else. I'm trying very hard to use up what I have...or at least make the output more than the input. (Is it really possible?)

10. SPIN MORE! I used to dedicate at least one day a week to spin, but have gotten out of the habit and I sorely miss it. I'm thinking...which day do I have the least amount of work to do and errands to run...and when I'll REALLY need some stress relief. Make Friday afternoon? Or maybe Tuesday?

And...now....make sure to come back on Friday to check on the new Sleepy Eyes Knit Along....grab a skein of Malabrigo (or some other very soft, slightly heavy worsted yarn) and a 16" size 9 (or so...please check your gauge!) circular needle. I'm starting the 2008 "DO the AMANDA" Knitalong....for my Amanda Hat pattern. I'll be correcting a mistake and changing the pic on the pattern so hold off on grabbing it until Friday, if you can. If you don't mind the slightly "off" version, then go ahead and get it now. See you then!

6 comments:

Lora said...

Great Resolutions Gina!! Happy New Year. ;)

NH Knitting Mama said...

Sounds like some great resolutions to me! Knit on, friend!

Lapdog Creations said...

Love the mitts! I too am aiming for using more of what is in my stash than buying more this year... AIMING being the key word...

Happy New Year!

KSee said...

Happy New Year! I just unpacked a scale and found out that I can make a third pair of fingerless gloves for myself with the remaining Mountain Goat. Thanks for the heads up. I totally forgot I even had the scale. Great resoultions. I'm not making any so I don't stress myself. Your gloves are so pretty, love the color. I'm saving up to go to a knitting retreat 1/18 at Robin's For the love of Fiber. A first for me.

donnadb said...

I'm already three inches into the Amanda hat, so I'll be joining the KAL in progress -- guess it will be the "slightly off" version. :) Happy New Year to you and yours!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the birthday wishes :)

Love the resolutions. 10!!! wow! I hope you have a fantastic year and able to stick to them all.

Amy Boogie