Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Pre-Travelitis

I've been feeling completely overwhelmed this week with planning and packing for our Bahamas trip. I should be getting excited, feeling grateful to be going at all and carefully cleaning the house before we leave in 9 days. Am I feeling or doing any of those things? No.

I'm a list-maker, so I'm going to list what's bothering me:

1. No matter how many times I clean the house and do laundry for the trip (not wanting to do everything the day before, of course), everyone keeps on wearing clothes, eating and using the toilet. Okay...it may not be their fault, but it IS annoying.

2. I was amazed at how much little stuff I use everyday...toiletries, accessories and sh*t....contact lense case/saline/glasses, cleanser, moisturizer, scented lotion, deoderant, qtips, toothpaste/toothbrush, perfume, powder, razors, soap, shampoo, foundation/eyeliner/lipgloss/blush, and brush/comb/hair dryer. It's a bit crazy, isn't it? Nevertheless, I cannot do without any of them (well, maybe the powder or hair dryer....) so I've been trying to get those on a list for packing.

3. I'm sick over the amount of money I need to spend BEFORE the trip....new shoes, dresses, beachwear, bathing suit and wrap, etc. I thought we spent enough on the trip itself, but we haven't even left yet and I still have to buy our clothes (including new shorts and polo shirts for Ian). It's frightening!

4. The only slightly easy thing has been planning my knitting. The first thing I did was to order the new Knit Picks Harmony circulars for my sock knitting. They are sooo cute! That way, I can take my sock project on the plane and be happy listening to the lovely, soothing voice of Brenda of Cast On and the fantastic and spunky Marly of Yarn Thing podcast. They are definitely coming with me on my trip : )

5. And, lastly, there is the pool to close, the cat box and bunny box to clean out, the wood to stack and groceries to buy for the kiddies/my parents while we are away.

hysterical and unreasonable sobbing

Okay, I'm alright now....

One other sad thing to mention. I'm going to stop doing the Sleepy Eyes Knits podcast in October. I started last year in October and really think it's time to quit. Working at the yarn store, teaching yoga, spending time with the family and knitting/spinning is taking up all my energy and time...and I feel like it's not as rewarding as it was before.

(I've looked over the downloads and I was happy to see that I've gotten an average of 2000 downloads per month. That's pretty cool.) But, this is what I'd like to do. I'd like to end the podcast with a HUGE BANG and I'm asking for people to send me some great ideas/questions/essays/funny knitting stories/comments to me and let my last podcast be totally great. What do you think?

Can you help????

On another, happier, note, I have some pictures to share with you:

-The wonderful Julie and fantastic Patti from the Yarn Sellar at our Friday Night Knitting group last week. (oh, the fun we had!)



and



-The beauitful Jackie in her newly finished Children of the Liur stole:



-The Group at the Yarn and Fiber Co. last week:



-The yummifying Socks That Rock yarn that Ericka and I ordered last week. Front to back: Backstabber (mine!), Puck's Mischief and Tide Pool (Ericka's). I send Ericka a silly "yarn blackmail" email, too...so go and check out her blog to see how she responded!



(I have three FO's that I'd like to share, but I'm waiting faithfully for Friday....just in case I have no idea what to blog about...though they are already up on Ravelry.)

Anyone have any suggestions for my Pre-Travelitis?

13 comments:

Lapdog Creations said...

Why is it that everyone seems to be going someplace FUN and exciting over my birthday except for me??!! I have another friend who's heading off to Europe next week...
Well, have fun! Don't forget to go by all the rules for your lotions & liquids if you're putting them in your carry on ... they can only be up to X amount ounces and you can only have ONE sandwich size plastic baggy with them in it (side note - I did get my extra contacts, contact solutions & nasal spray for allergies thru separately as they were considered "medical"). I really had to cut down what I packed...

yarnslinger said...

do what I do...leave the packing until the night before. That way instead of stressing for 9 days, you only stress for one! hugs...

Laurin said...

I like Melissa's suggestion!
I will have some surprises for you tomorrow that might help a little...nope, not telling you now. You'll just have to wait.

NH Knitting Mama said...

I wait to pack until the night before like Melissa. Then, I think: okay - day 1 I'll need a bathing suit, bra, undies, shorts, shirt, dinner dress, stockings, socks... day 2 I'll need... and so on. I recommend putting as many toiletries in your actual "ecked" luggage as possible. You only get one ONE QUART bag for travel sized toiletries to bring through security.

Another tip? Wear sandlas WITH socks so when you go through security you don't have to put your foot on the airport floor. When you get on the airplane, you can take off your socks and not have to worry.

I could go on forever with travel tips (I used to be a travel agent and I travel a bit)....

Email me if you need more advice and on what and I'll do my best to give you tips.

Have fun! Don't worry about what is going on at home. You don't get these opportunites everyday.

Terri Lynn said...

Cool blog! I lived in Derry and Hampstead back in 1988/89! Love that green homespun!!!!

mochirunner said...

I am a compulsive list/pile maker. I've got my list of stuff and I sort stuff in piles for a few days before I leave then throw everything in the suitcase the night before. Although without fail I am running around the night before or the day I leave trying to get stuff organized...

have fun in the Bahamas! I'm so jealous of your exotic (and kid-free) adventure!

yarnophiliac said...

I'm so bummed I missed knit night. :( Next time! And darn those boys of yours for needing the bathroom and clothes! SHEESH!
I'm very sorry to hear you'll be stopping the pod-cast, but totally understand -- life can be seriously crazy. I'll miss you tho! You are such a companion while I work!

Jackie said...

I love Melissa's suggestion. I also wouldn't clean my house until the night before.

I'm so sorry you're stopping the podcast. I'll miss it.

Lapdog Creations said...

I guess you're back on her "good list" huh? WOW.

Anonymous said...

I am just like you before leaving on a trip; making lists, shopping, getting things together for at least a week before the actual trip. I do NOT, however, stress over the housecleaning :)

Donna said...

Wow - no more podcast??? Any way you might re-consider? I really look forward to it! We would miss you!!!!

Enjoy your trip. Catch a tan for me!!!!

Amy Boogie said...

I'm keeper of the lists too. Or maybe I should say I'm a writer then loser of the list :) I wish I had some advice for travelitis. When I go on a trip it's usually once every 5-10 years and I don't lose that feeling until day 2 or 3 of the vacation.

I'm sad to hear you're ending the podcast but I understand. I love listening to your voice. I suppose that means I'll have to try to visit you instead.

Enjoy your trip and if there is anything I can do to help the podcast, let me know.

Anonymous said...

I hope you have a really great trip. I always make tons of lists, bring everything and only end up wearing half of it.

Make sure you take tons of pictures especially of Sahara in action.

Thanks for the nice comments about the lace. I have been on a kick with it lately and can't stop.