Saturday, March 03, 2007

Fun on Thursday.....

To counteract my blog from yesterday, I have a happy blog for today.

On Thursday, Ian took the day off and we all went to the Burlington Mall in Burlington, MA. Primarily, we went to go to the Lego store and the Rainforest Cafe. The kids were SUPER excited. The last time Tim was at the Rainforest Cafe was 10 years ago when we all went to DisneyWorld.

The trip wasn't too bad...a little less than an hour and the mall (though under construction), wasn't very crowded since it was a weekday. We made a bee line for the Lego Store and it didn't disappoint us. It was SOO cool! I've loved Legos since I was a little girl and Ian saved his gi-normous lego collection from when he was a kid, so Ben and Tim have almost as many legos as the store has!

The set up of the store is interesting....on the left side, a wall of the "older" kids sets and the on the right, the Duplo sets for the little guys/gals. On the very back wall is a "pick your own" section (from ceiling to floor)....kind of like the Jelly Belly jellybeans set up....where you can pick the color and type of bricks you want in any number. A small container (about the size of a cottage cheese tub) is $6.95 and the larger ones (like a quart container that big yogurt comes in) for $12.95. I forgot to bring my camera and only had my phone, so I have no pics to show right now...though once I download the camera pics, I'll add them in.

(UPDATE: Here it is!)



Did I mention that there are at least 3 little tables with legos that kids (or adults) can build on and play with? Ben loved that!

There was also a section of non-sets of stuff you could buy: lego watches, timers, salt and pepper shakers, magnets, keychains, board games, card games and ice cube trays. I grabbed one of the ice cube trays and filled it up immediately after I got home.....look closely in my glass to see them....neat, huh?



This is a close up....



Here are the sets that we got from the Lego Store....

1. Ben got a ExoForce kit...



2. Tim got a new Bionicle creature....



3. And, yes, I got something, too...one of the Bellville "girly" sets...(yes, I regressed to age 10)



On a knitting note, Ian's grandma (the one who weaves gorgeous weaverly things) wore out the pair of slippers I made her 3 years ago and I made her another pair. If anyone is awesome enough to wear something I've knitted until it's worn out, that person is TOTALLY knit worthy. Here are the slippers from the Knit Knack Kit by Kris Perceival....a book that I like for the easy and attractive patterns, but has one tiny problem...it gives no gauge at all for any of the projects.

As you can see, I also added the crocheted flowers that Marion had made for her daughters' wedding and passed on to us (along with yummy jellybeans!)...



The slippers may look very strange and "kooky", but they are extremely comfortable, so quick to knit and fun to make. I made both in one day using Lamb's Pride bulky in Periwinkle.

Also, for a mini change to cheer myself up (the Spunky Everyday Cardi is not on the back burner...just on hold till Monday), I decided to start reading the book, The Sweater Workshop by Jacqueline Fee, also a member of the NETA group.

Donna let me buy the book from her stash (thanks, Donna!) and I can't believe how fun it is. It's not only informative and has great ideas, but it's a great read...it's like talking to a knitting friend! The first section of the book is how to make a "Sweater Sampler", which lets you make a sweater-like thing (see how intellectual I am??) while trying out all of the techniques you need when designing your own sweater.....the usual stuff like ss, garter, ribbing....but then going on to making button holes, belts, adding lace, hems, an afterthought pocket and even stitching in your initials when you're done. I'm having a blast so far and I'm only a couple techniques in.....here I am just finishing the 1x1 ribbing....



I have to show you the book itself...you know why?...it has teeny, tiny mini-skeins of Opal that Donna brought over laying on top of it. I tried to sneak one, but Donna and her hawk-like eyes caught me. Darn it! Aren't that adorable???



And, finally, I took pics of Ericka's Down to Hearth soaps. They are even better in person....I wish there was such a thing as "smellivsion" ! She generously donated them to the Sleepy Eyes Knits podcast theme song contest. Woo-hoo! Thanks, Ericka!

So, remember, send me a few lines of your song or even send me a .mp3 or such singing it. I already have an entry that is FANTASTIC!!! Deadline in week and a half...so send them in! Someone will win yarn, soap and other goodies!

P.S. Here is blogless Amanda wearing all of her recently knitting FOs.....Hat using yarn that Donna gifted her....Fetching mitts from yarn I gifted her and her beautiful rose colored shrug....sorry this pic is so dark and blurry...it was from my camera phone.



Many, many hugs and thanks to everyone who commented on my blog yesterday. I can't tell you how much it meant to me to have so many of you being so supportive and understanding. You're all WONDERFUL!!!!

7 comments:

NH Knitting Mama said...

Hi, Gina!

Thanks for the great idea about going to Lego store/Rainforest Cafe as a fieldtrip. Always looking for something to do with our little guy.

Glad you're feeling better today. When you publish your first "All Gina" book of original patters, I'll be first in line for a copy.

Sonya said...

I would so love to live near a Lego store. We would hang out there all the time. We have also been to the one in Orlando and to the Rainforest Cafe. Did you see the shirt with the lego guy playing guitar? I may have to order that.

Lapdog Creations said...

Can't wait to see how your "sweater sampler thing" turns out! Looking good so far... those mini skeins of Opal are TOO cute!

Amy Boogie said...

I NEED to go to the LEGO store. I love Legos, those ice cubes are fantastic.

I would have wanted to steal those little Opal skeins too. I wonder where you can find those. *goes off to search.

Anonymous said...

Love the flowers on the slippers! Thanks for the picture.

Jackie said...

Love the pic of the kids at the Lego store, so glad you guys had fun. Love the ice cubes and all the great goodies you got! The Boy loves loves loves those Bionicle Barraki things. Slippers came out adorable! I love how you attached Marion's crocheted flowers to them. V. Cute!
Oh, and I don't see a picture of B-less Amanda, wha' happened?

Anonymous said...

I love those Lego ice cubes. Guess I will have to look for those next time I get sucked into going to Legoland. That is as close as we get to a Lego store.