Thursday, December 15, 2005

Moebius Sling


MoebiusSling
Originally uploaded by yogagardengirl32.
I was very excited to start my first moebius project from Cat Bordhi's book...the second in the magical knitting series. The moebius cast-on was a complex battle involving my mind (which is not always at full capacity at the best of times) and my body (which at the moment is happily working well and slimming out at a nice rate) that sometimes resulted in bouts of hysterical laughing, sobbing or just plain swearing like an angry man. In the end, something just "clicked" (maybe it was the door closing...who knows?) and I finally understood how to do it.

Instead of knitting the 120 cast on stitches, you're actually knitting twice that amount because of the moebius factor of the neverending loop. So, the knitting was longer, but smooth sailing for a while...until I ran out of yarn....

Now, this is a big problem for me. I don't know why. Is it because I'm so tired that I don't notice the cats stealing huge chunks of yarn OR is it the Yarn Carnivore that is threatening (and succeeding, I presume) to eat up all of the needed yarn for current projects I have.?.!.? No matter how perfect my gauge or how many times I check to make sure I'm using the correct, suggested yarn or re-checking the yards of the skein I'm working with...I'm ALWAYS a skein too short. It's a frightening and very frustrating experience. I guess I should know by now to....JUST BUY ONE EXTRA SKEIN....each time I start a project. But, the optimist in me (or maybe it's the memory loss due to the lack of sleep I've gotten since Ben's been born) decides not to go the logical way and live in my own dreamworld...la la la la la...only to be sadly disappointed when I have 3 inches of yarn dangling off my needle and I'm shouting, "Don't I have another skein of this yarn? Where the HELL is it?"

Does anyone else have this problem? If so, please write me and let me know I'm not the only one! : P

No comments: